Total Time: 55 min Prep: 15 min Cook: 40 min Serves:4 Difficulty: Easy
- dry spelt pasta: 200 g, spiral variety
- olive oil: 2 tsp
- red onion: 1 medium, finely chopped
- fennel bulb(s): 1 small, finely chopped
- garlic: 2 clove(s), crushed
- dried chilli flakes: ½ tsp
- canned diced tomatoes: 400 g
- tomato paste: 2 tbs
- zucchini: 1 medium, chopped
- black olives, drained: ¼ cup(s), (40g), kalamata, sliced
- Tuna, canned in springwater, drained: 185 g, flaked
- grated parmesan cheese: ⅓ cup(s), (25g)
- fresh flat-leaf parsley: 2 tbs, chopped
- fresh lemon rind: 2 tsp, finely grated
- oil spray: 1 x 3 second spray(s)
- Preheat oven to 180ºC or 160ºC fan forced. Lightly spray a 1.5 litre (6-cup) capacity baking dish with oil.
- Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water, following packet instructions, until just tender. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion and fennel, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and chilli and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add tomatoes, zucchini, olives, tuna and ¼ cup (60ml) water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Add pasta and toss to combine. Spoon mixture into prepared dish and sprinkle with ¼ cup (20g) parmesan. Bake for 20 minutes or until top is golden.
- Meanwhile, combine parsley, rind and remaining parmesan in a small bowl. Serve pasta bake sprinkled with parmesan mixture (gremolata).
SERVING SUGGESTION: Mixed salad leaves, drizzled with lemon juice. TIPS: Canned diced tomatoes with added tomato paste add richness to the sauce. If unavailable, use 400g can diced tomatoes and 2 tablespoons tomato paste. Add it: 2 tbs chopped fresh basil leaves with pasta in Step 4 . Swap it: Tuna for 400g can brown lentils (rinsed, drained).