I’m all about grilled cheese! There’s something so satisfying about the way that crispy bread combines with melted cheese. When I was a kid, there’s no way I would eat anything other than white bread and cheddar cheese. Today, I’m happy to report that my picky-eating tendencies didn’t extend into my adulthood! Tomato, mozzarella, and basil are mouthwatering members of classic Italian combinations, and you usually see them in caprese salads. You’ll be thrilled to learn that we’ve combined these ingredients with a classic grilled cheese to create a savory Tomato Mozzarella and Basil Panini.
Yields: 2 servings | Serving Size: 1/2 sandwich | Calories: 231 | Total Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 25mg | Sodium: 475mg | Carbohydrates: 15g | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Protein: 10g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 8
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
- 1 Roma tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 thin slice of red onion
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- Pinch of kosher or sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Spread olive oil with a pastry or basting brush over two slices of bread. Sprinkle each with salt and pepper.
- Place one of the bread slices, oil-side down and top basil leaves, tomato slices, onion, and mozzarella. Top with other piece of bread, olive oil side up.
- Place a heavy-bottomed skillet on the stovetop over medium-high heat or use a Panini press.
- If using a skillet, press down with lid to flatten sandwich a bit. Cook for about 2 minutes, until golden on the bottom, and flip. Repeat on other side.
- Slice sandwich in half to make 2 servings.