Pronounced ‘fuh’, this is a traditional Vietnamese dish. We’ve used marinated tofu instead of meat.
Total Time: 1hr 25 min Prep: 10 min Cook: 45 min Serves: 4 Difficulty: Moderate
- Plain Tofu: 396 g
- Hoisin Sauce: 2 tablespoons
- Soy Sauce: 3 tablespoons
- Rice Wine Vinegar: 1 tablespoons
- Calorie controlled cooking spray: 4 spray(s)
- Garlic: 3 clove(s)
- Root Ginger: 2 inch slice(s)
- Onion(s): 1 large
- Vegetable stock cube(s): 3 cube(s)
- Miso: 1 tablespoons
- Rice Noodles, dry: 100 g
- Courgette: 1 medium
- Pak Choi: 2 portion(s)
- Sesame Seeds: 1 teaspoons
- Wrap the tofu in kitchen towel and place on a plate. Add another plate on top and weigh it down using a can or two. Leave to ‘press’ for at least 30 mins to get rid of any excess moisture. Once done, pour off the liquid and then cut into 12 slices.
- Combine the hoisin, 1 tbsp soy sauce and vinegar in a small bowl. Place the tofu slices in a shallow dish and pour over the marinade. Leave to marinate for 20 mins
- Spray a deep, large pot with calorie controlled spray and place over a medium-high heat. Add the garlic, ginger and onion and sauté for 6-8 mins, stirring occasionally, until well charred.
- Add two ladles of the vegetable broth to deglaze the bottom of the pan – be careful, it will sizzle quite loudly. Add the rest of the stock along with the soy sauce. Bring to a simmer over a medium heat, then reduce the heat to low and cover. Simmer on low for 30 mins then strain and add the broth back in the pan with the miso.
- As the broth simmers, cook your tofu. Spray a large grill pan with calorie controlled spray and place over a medium high heat. Add the tofu and cook on each side for 3 mins until griddle marks show. Meanwhile, soak the noodles in boiling water for 4 mins and then immediately drain and leave to soak in cold water. Bring the broth back to a simmer and add the pak choi, cooking for 3 mins until just wilted. Stir in the courgetti and noodles and cook for a further minute.
- Add the vegetables and noodles to 4 serving bowls then cover with the broth. Top with the tofu and sprinkle over the sesame seeds. Serve.