I have some pretty vivid memories of coleslaw. I know that might sound like a weird thing to remember from childhood, but it was such an iconic side at the neighborhood block party. No matter what the occasion -Memorial Day, Fourth of July, or Father’s Day – a bowl of my mom’s coleslaw was sure to make an appearance.
Yields: 5 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 123 | Total Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 260mg | Carbohydrates: 19g | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 6g | Protein: 4g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 2
- 4 cups Brussels sprouts, shaved or finely chopped
- 1 cup kale, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons red onion, finely minced
- 1/2 cup charred corn kernels
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno, minced
- 1/4 cup tomatoes, diced small
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 cup avocado, mashed
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cuming
- 1 table spoon chili powder
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the Brussels sprouts, kale, corn, onion, jalapeno, and tomatoes. Lightly toss.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the remaining ingredients to make a sauce. Add to the Brussels sprouts mixture and toss until everything is coated in the avocado sauce. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving. Enjoy!