We topped each serving with a poached or sunny-side up egg for a Southern breakfast you’re going to love.
Total Time 8 hr 45 min Prep 15 min Cook 8 hr 30 min Serves 6 Difficulty Easy
- cooking spray 5 spray(s)
- water 6 cup(s)
- uncooked corn grits 1½ cup(s)
- kosher salt 1 tsp, or to taste
- uncooked kale 6 oz, baby variety, firmly packed (about 4 c)
- reduced-fat cheddar cheese 4 oz
- black pepper ⅛ tsp, or to taste
- grape tomatoes 1 cup(s), halved
- real bacon bits 6 Tbsp, for garnish
- egg(s) 6 large, cooked sunny-side up
- Coat inside of a 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Add water; whisk in grits and salt to combine (make sure there are no lumps in grits). Cover slow cooker; cook on low until grits are tender and creamy, 8 hours.
- Uncover slow cooker; stir in kale and cheese. Cook on low (or warm setting) until kale has wilted, about 30 minutes. Taste and adjust for seasoning with salt and pepper; serve sprinkled with tomatoes and bacon bits, and topped with a sunny-side up egg.
- Serving size: 1 c grits plus 1 egg