When warm weather comes knockin’ and vegetable season rolls around, whip up some Skinny Zucchini Pasta & Baby Spinach!
Flavorful and tasty, especially in season, zucchini tops the charts in terms of powerful superfoods. The veggie does so much more than offer a host of health benefits. It’s super versatile, starring in countless dishes in a variety of roles. Fresh zucchini disguised as pasta noodles pairs beautifully with baby spinach in this healthy recipe.
Yields: 6 servings | Calories: 116 | Total Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 6mg | Sodium: 505mg | Carbohydrates: 8g | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Protein: 6g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 4
- 4 medium zucchini, peeled and ends removed
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup loosely packed baby spinach
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Place each zucchini on a vegetable spiralizer to make the pasta. Use the smaller holes for spaghetti.
- Optional: Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon salt on zucchini pasta, tossing to coat. Spread pasta on double layer of paper towels on a baking sheet, which will extract some of the water. Allow to set for 10 minutes.
- Add olive oil to a large skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Raise heat to medium, add tomatoes with liquid, capers, parsley, oregano, black pepper, red pepper, remaining salt, and zucchini pasta, tossing to combine.
- Cook until pasta is tender, about 7-8 minutes.
- Add spinach and cook just until wilted, about 1 minute.
- Add to serving platter and sprinkle with parmesan.