You might know this about me, but I’m a bit of a cheeseburger fiend. I find myself breaking my diet and ordering a cheeseburger at a restaurant all too often, even if there’s a really good-sounding salad on the menu. So, knowing this about myself, I’ve come up with a rule for myself: I cannot, under any circumstances, deprive myself of cheeseburgers. So, I developed this recipe for skinny cheeseburger boats. It means that I can satisfy my burger craving without destroying my weight-loss plan. Pretty great, right?
Yields: 18 cheeseburger boats | Serving size: 2 cheeseburger boats | Calories: 237 | Total Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 61mg | Sodium: 396mg | Carbohydrates: 9g | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 6g | Protein: 18g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 5
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 25 minutes Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 pound lean ground beef (optional ground turkey)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 medium bell peppers of varied colors, (remove core, seeds, and membrane)
- 2/3 cup ketchup, divided
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 5 slices (reduced-fat) cheddar cheese, (any cheese slice will work
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Slice each bell pepper into 6 vertical pieces, along the indention line. Set peppers aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine meat, onion, salt, pepper, 1/3 cup ketchup, and mustard.
- Add meat mixture to boats. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and cook until meat is done, about 20 minutes.
- Remove boats from the oven, drizzle with remaining ketchup, then top each with 1/4 cheese slice, place back in the oven and bake just until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.
- Remove boats and enjoy will hot!