Pureeing the soup gives it a deliciously smooth, velvety texture.
Total Time: 1 hr 10 min Prep: 25 min Cook: 45 min Serves: 8 Difficulty: Easy
- coconut oil: ¾ tsp
- uncooked onion(s): 2 cup(s), diced
- uncooked carrot(s): 3 cup(s), diced
- table salt: 1 tsp
- minced ginger: 1 Tbsp
- minced garlic: 1 tsp
- ground coriander: 1 Tbsp
- ground cumin: 2 tsp
- ground cinnamon: 1 tsp
- cayenne pepper: 1 pinch
- uncooked butternut squash: 8 cup(s), cubed
- fat free chicken broth: 4 cup(s), or vegetable broth
- orange juice: 1 Tbsp
- chives: 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onion, carrot and salt; cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are softened, 10 minutes.
- Add ginger, garlic, coriander, cumin, cinnamon and cayenne; cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Add squash and broth to pot; increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, uncovered, until squash is extremely soft, 30-35 minutes.
- Puree soup in pot using an immersion blender (or puree in batches in a regular blender); stir in orange juice and garnish with chives.
- Serving size: 1 cup
If you prefer a thinner soup, stir in a little water.