Here’s a ricotta cheese-and-citrus twist on a favorite American breakfast. They’re great plain but also super topped with mixed berries and a drizzle of lemon juice.
Total Time: 30 min Prep: 12 min Cook: 18 min Serves: 6 Difficulty: Easy
- all-purpose flour: 1½ cup(s)
- baking soda: 1 tsp
- table salt: ½ tsp
- low-fat buttermilk: 1 cup(s)
- egg(s): 2 large, yolks and whites separated
- sugar: 2 Tbsp, granulated
- lemon zest: 2 Tbsp, or increase to taste
- part-skim ricotta cheese: ½ cup(s)
- cooking spray: 3 spray(s)
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat together buttermilk, egg yolks, sugar, lemon zest and ricotta cheese by hand.
- In a clean bowl, using an electric mixer, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Add dry ingredients to buttermilk mixture until just combined; gently fold in egg whites until they are just incorporated.
- Coat a large nonstick griddle or pan with cooking spray; heat over medium heat. Spoon batter into pan in batches using a 1/4-cup batter for each pancake; cook until lightly browned, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove pancakes to a tray in a warm oven and repeat with remaining ingredients (being careful not to spray cooking spray into open flame).
- Serving size: 2 pancakes
You can thin the batter out with a little water if desired.