The starting point for these indulgent cinnamon rolls is our two-ingredient dough, which we enrich with an egg, some vanilla extract, and a little powdered sugar. It comes together much faster than a yeast dough, which is typically used for cinnamon rolls—so that you can have these on the table within an hour. The texture is a little heartier than yeast-dough cinnamon rolls, somewhere between a dinner roll and a biscuit. Use patience when making the glaze and resist the temptation to add water or milk; keep stirring, and it will loosen to the perfect texture for drizzling.
Total Time: 45 min Prep: 13 min Cook: 22 min Serves: 12 Difficulty: Easy
- white self-rising flour: 2 cup(s)
- powdered sugar: ⅝ cup(s), divided
- plain fat free Greek yogurt: 1⅝ cup(s), divided
- vanilla extract: 1 Tbsp, divided
- egg(s): 1 large
- packed brown sugar: ¼ cup(s)
- ground cinnamon: 1 Tbsp
- cooking spray: 5 spray(s)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine flour and 2 Tbsp powdered sugar in a large bowl. Whisk together 1½ cups yogurt, 1 Tbsp vanilla, and egg in a medium bowl. Add yogurt mixture to flour mixture; stir well with a wooden spoon until just combined and then keep mixing dough in bowl with your hands until smooth (about 2 minutes of kneading). If dough is too sticky to knead, add more flour, 1 Tbsp at a time, until no longer sticky.
- Place a large piece of parchment paper on a work surface and sprinkle with a little flour. Place dough on parchment paper, and roll into a 12 x 9–inch rectangle. Sprinkle evenly with brown sugar and cinnamon, all the way to the edges. Starting with a long edge, roll up dough tightly (use parchment paper to help roll up dough) to form a 12-inch-long roll. Cut roll into 12 (1-inch) slices. Arrange dough slices in an 11 x 7–inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake until lightly browned, 22 to 25 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before topping with glaze.
- Combine remaining ½ cup powdered sugar, remaining 2 Tbsp yogurt, and remaining ¼ tsp vanilla, stirring until smooth. Drizzle glaze over cinnamon rolls. Serve warm.
- Serving size: 1 cinnamon roll