Adding just a little lemon juice not only keeps the bananas from turning dark but it also adds bright flavor to this creamy casserole.
Total Time: 1 hr 25 min Prep: 20 min Cook: 35 min Serves: 12 Difficulty: Easy
- whole wheat bread: 12 slice(s), or oatmeal bread, cut into quarters (about 1 oz per slice)
- cooking spray: 5 spray(s)
- 2% reduced fat milk: 1 cup(s)
- maple syrup: ½ cup(s)
- egg(s): 6 large
- Neufchâtel cheese: 4 oz, (1/3-less-fat cream cheese)
- banana(s): 4 medium, ripe, divided
- rum: 1 Tbsp
- vanilla extract: 1 tsp
- fresh lemon juice: 2 tsp
- ground nutmeg: ½ tsp
- ground cinnamon: ½ tsp
- table salt: ¼ tsp
- powdered sugar: 3 Tbsp
- Coat a 13- X 9-in baking dish with cooking spray; stand bread quarters up in prepared dish so it lines the sides and bottom in a single layer.Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place milk, syrup, eggs, cream cheese, 2 bananas, rum, vanilla, juice, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt in a blender; process until smooth, 1-2 minutes. Slowly pour mixture over bread; press bread into egg mixture, making sure it is completely submerged. Cover with foil; chill for 30 minutes (or up to overnight).
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Just before baking, thinly slice remaining 2 bananas; tuck slices in between pieces of bread. Bake, covered with foil, 25 minutes. Remove foil; bake until golden brown and set, about 10 minutes more. Sprinkle top of casserole with powdered sugar; slice into 12 pieces and serve immediately.
- Serving size: 1 piece
Serve with fresh berries if desired.