When I think of my ideal vacation, I envision ocean breezes, white sandy beaches, sunshine, and tropical beverages. All of these things come to mind when enjoying this bright fruity Chili Lime Chicken with Mango Rice. If I pair this dish with one of these Skinny Margarita recipes, I don’t even need to pack my bags!
Yield: 4 servings | Serving Size: 1 chicken breast, about 1/2 cup rice | Calories: 519 | Total Fat: 19 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Carbohydrates: 51 g | Fiber: 4 g | Sugar: 10 g | Protein: 46 g | Cholesterol: 125 mg | Sodium: 474 mg | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 8
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil, divided (optional: avocado oil)
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons ground chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 (6 ounce) Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 2 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked long grain brown rice
- 1/4 cup scallions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 medium mango, peeled, cored, and diced small
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 lime, sliced into wedges
- In a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon olive oil, half the lime zest, half the lime juice, chili powder, cumin, salt & pepper. Add the chicken breast to the lime mixture and marinate for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring the chicken broth to a boil. Once boiling, add the brown rice. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 10 to 20 minutes or until rice is tender Stir in the remaining lime zest and lime juice, scallions, cilantro and diced mango. Set aside.
- Heat large skillet over medium high heat. Add remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Sear chicken on both sides, about 2-3 min each side, ensuring it is golden brown and slightly crisp on both sides. (Note: if using a non-stick skillet, chicken that may stick to the pan will
- “release” when it is ready to turn. No need to force it.
- When chicken is golden brown on both sides, reduce heat to medium-low, pour in 1/4 cup water and cover.
- Cook on medium-low an additional 6-8 minutes, until breasts are cooked through and no longer pink inside. Internal temperature should be 165 degrees.
- Divide rice among 4 plates, top with chicken breast, and garnish with remaining lime slices.