Mild, neutrally flavored chickpeas puree to a creamy, smooth consistency, then combine with peanut butter powder and enough cocoa to give these whole-grain treats a bittersweet edge. Toasting the oats in a dry skillet makes them slightly crunchy and gives them a rich, nutty flavor. Honey and mini chocolate chips add just enough sweetness. For the best results, seek out lower-sodium chickpeas. If using no-salt-added chickpeas, add 1/4 tsp salt to make sure the flavor doesn’t fall flat.
Total Time: 52 min Prep: 18 min Cook: 4 min Serves: 24 Difficulty: Easy
- uncooked old fashioned oats: 1 cup(s)
- canned chickpeas: 15 oz, rinsed and drained
- water: ¼ cup(s)
- honey: 3½ Tbsp
- vanilla extract: 1 tsp
- powdered peanut butter: ½ cup(s)
- unsweetened cocoa powder: ⅓ cup(s)
- mini semisweet chocolate chips: ¼ cup(s)
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oats to pan; cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant and lightly browned, about 4 to 5 minutes. Pour onto a plate to cool.
- Combine chickpeas, water, honey, and vanilla in a food processor and process until smooth, scraping sides of bowl as needed. Add peanut butter powder and cocoa and process until well blended and mixture starts to form a ball. Spoon mixture into a large bowl. Fold in toasted oats and chocolate chips. Roll mixture into 24 balls (about 1 slightly rounded Tbsp each). Chill until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Serving size: 1 energy bite
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.